Deception, Tax Lien Tutor, Fraud, SKW Central, 125 E. Main St. American Fork, UT

125 E Main St #311, American Fork, UT 84003, USA 0 comments
Additional Fees
Interest Rate
Privacy and Data Security

On July 29, 2011, I purchased a tax lien certificate form SKW Central. I received letter from them, a transaction receipt, an assignment contract, and an assignment certificate.

The property is located in Hillsborough County, Florida. I contacted the Hillsborough County Tax Collector’s Office to follow up on the status of the lien. They told me that SKW central never assigned the tax lien to me. To make matters worse, they said that property was sold to an individual on April 15, 2016 (even though I was the certificate holder).

I’m supposed to receive my initial investment of $411.80, plus an annual return of 18%, which is the County’s rate. For the past few weeks, I have been calling SKW Central to solve this situation; when I’m lucky to reach someone, I talk to a different person. The answer I get is that someone will get back to me, but they never do. I’m convinced they have no intentions to contact me.

I’m not receiving replies to email messages or phone calls. Since I have a legally binding contract signed by SKW Central and myself, I need the $411.80 and the 18% annual return that I am entitled to.

Review about: Tax Lien Certificate.

Reason of review: Problems with payment.

I didn't like: Deceptive business practices.

Skw central is as good as their customer service - pathetic

In early 2012 I attended a free seminar for Dean Graziosi which included the SKW(Sean Kegan Walker) tax lien program. The SKW program sounded good so I purchased the package. Immediately there were some “inconsistencies” in what I was told vs. what I was sold. These were minor items such as like 90 days of website access when it was actually only 30 days. I was told that I would only pay for website access for the months that I used it but I was billed for several months that I did not use it. I was later told that website access is only for educational purposes. So why did I pay for it when I wasn’t using it? I called their customer service line and they cancelled the service but refused to refund anything.

From the beginning it seemed like I was calling the help line and getting vague answers. I was hearing things like “it sounds like…”, “it is probably…”, “I think it is…” and so on. Then it came to the point of actually purchasing tax liens in order to get tuition reimbursed. I read the agreement and realized that there was probably no way I could meet all of the requirements in order to get the reimbursement before the 30 days ran out. Since I was ready to spend money on something I didn’t really feel comfortable with, I called the help line to find out if I actually needed to meet all of the requirements. I said that there was no way I could expect several counties to all send me the paperwork required in less than a week. I was told to go ahead and send it in, but I wasn’t told that I would get the reimbursement without the required paperwork. I repeatedly asked if I would get the reimbursement without the required paperwork but I could not get the question answered. This went on and on until I realized that I was not going to get a straight answer. I said that this was ridiculous and hung up. I was then called back by someone else who told me that I didn’t actually need to meet all of the requirements because they realized that counties would not act that quickly. I guess that it was necessary to get to a level of argument in order to get a straight answer. Why was it that I need to get vague and inconsistent answers? …or non-answers?

One of the liens that I purchased was through the SKW website. It was supposed to have a redemption date within 30 to 90 days. I was told this several times. Then I was told that the lien had passed the redemption date about four months before I purchased it. I was then told that their service would automatically send a letter to the homeowner. Since I didn’t hear anything I called back to ask about this. I called the help line and was told that this service was not available yet. It was a new service that would be underway soon. Several weeks later I called back to check on this and I was told that the service had been underway for quite some time and that letters were already sent out. I asked when the letters went out but couldn’t get this answered. I said that I thought the properties would have a redemption date of between 30 and 90 days of being purchased by your group and I was told “yes”. Well then, why was my lien beyond the redemption date months before I purchased it? I was then told that all of the properties available on the skw site were beyond the redemption date. (try and follow me here – during the same phone call the same skw representative agreed with me that the lien that I purchased would have a redemption date between 30 and 90 days and then I was told, during the same phone call, that all of the properties were beyond the redemption date) I asked how I would know what I was purchasing. I asked this question several times and could not get a straight answer until I was asking it again and the line went dead(…and no one called me back). I guess the only thing that was consistent and clear was that I was not going to get a straight answer. I now owned a tax lien on a property which I am afraid to do anything about because I could not tell which answers from the group I could trust.

When I look around the internet I can find multiple complaints about the Dean Graziosi programs. None of the problems were exactly like mine but one stated that Dean was good at getting negative comments removed from the internet. I found a similar claim about Sean Walker.

The best move that I made was not to pay for the mentoring program. I can’t imagine spending that kind of money with an organization that gives me inconsistent answers and will not give me straight answers to my questions. I also do not know what to do with the liens that I purchased. SKW may think that the process is easy but they know what they are doing. They probably know where to go to for answers and solutions that can be trusted. Try and think about what it would be like to spend money based on advice that is given by a group that has been vague and inconsistent from the start.

A modification of the above was sent to Sean Walker and Dean Graziosi and I received no response from either of them. I handed a copy of the same letter to Ryan Oliver (at an SKW seminar) and asked him to give it to Dean and Sean and again there was no response. I followed this up with an email to Ryan Oliver which was also ignored. I then sent in an email survey in which I stated some of my problems and again there was no reply. At another SKW seminar I handed the letter to Mike Jarett. As he was reading it he stated “this is ***”. He then said that he wanted to at least explain why this was happening. There was an explanation of how fast they were growing. He gave me his email and number and said that he would pass the letters along. He also said that he would have his supervisor, Neil Curry, call me back. I know that you are not going to believe this but there was no response and I never spoke to Neil Curry. I emailed Mike and he returned saying that the agreement was for him to pass the letters along and then he was out of the loop. I would need to contact customer service. I finally received a call from Garrett who said that he wanted to help me with any problems that I had (he did not reference any of my previous complaints). He assured me that he would look into what happened with my letter to Dean/Sean. I emailed him copies of what I sent to Ryan, Dean and Sean – no response. Somewhere along the line I was connected with Dillon Jenkins.

At this point I had a long list of questions. The professional and businesslike response should have been Sean Walker personally calling me to spell out my options, assure me what was going to be done, promising to call me back to make sure that things were going as promised, and having himself, or at least a manager take over if everything didn’t progress as promised. (I really didn’t think that this was within his talents) I was actually hoping that I would get a commitment from someone that they would personally help me with any questions or problems that I had. Apparently, I was still naïve enough at this point to think that I could get some reasonable level of service from this group. From the start it was obvious that Dillon Jenkins did not want to talk to me (but he had to). I found him very argumentative and rude. I told him the problems and wanted to know what could be done. He said that I had to tell him what I wanted. (since it was obvious that I couldn’t get any reasonable help with my problems) I said that I wanted them to buy back my tax liens and then he wouldn’t need to talk to me anymore. He said that they would do that. I told him that there was one lien that I purchased through SKW and 5 others that I purchased on my own. He then said that they wouldn’t purchase the ones that I bought on my own. We then had an argument that was him repeatedly saying “how can we buy them if you didn’t get them from us?”, “we can’t buy those back”, “how can we do that?”. This went on at the same time as I was saying “write a check”, “write a check”, “write a check”. Okay, now I am still stuck with 5 liens that I do not know what to do with. What else did I want? I said that I wanted to know if Sean ever received any of the letters that I sent to him. “How can I know that?”, “I am not Sean” “Why do you want to know this?” “I can’t answer for Sean”, “what are you going to do with the answer?”. Another friendly and mature discussion. What I didn’t tell him was that at every SKW seminar I had gone to, people would ask me what my experience was with the program. Rather that tell them right out, I simply handed them a copy of the letters. Then, after they read it and handed it back to me, I told them that they could keep it. Most of them wanted to know the outcome so I would update them on the pathetic lack of common sense and intelligent business practice. I still keep in touch with these people. Every person that read my letter said something like “you should complain to the better business bureau” or some other agency. Now, back to the question of Sean Walker ever receiving my letters. The argument then turned to “you need to contact customer service for this”. As I repeatedly said “what is the number for customer service?” the argument went something like this as we were both talking at the same time…

Me: “what is the number for customer service?”

Dillon: “you already have that number”

Me: “what is the number for customer service?”

Dillon: “you know the number”

Me: “what is the number for customer service?”

Dillon: “you already called them”

Me: “what is the number for customer service?”

Dillon: “You said in your letter that you called them”

Me: “what is the number for customer service?”

Dillon: “you have that number”

Me: “what is the number for customer service?”

Dillon: “it is the same number that you just called”

Me: “what is the number for customer service?”

Dillon: “it is this number”

Me: “what is the number for customer service?”

Dillon: this funny game went on for a while but he finally gave me a phone number

(yes, Dillon Jenkins is a really funny guy, I am sure that everyone else in the office was thoroughly entertained)

Finally after a long, rude and argumentative discussion, Dillon then said that he would ask Sean about the letter. He came back and said that Sean was on his way out the door (sure, I am *** enough to believe this and also *** enough to believe that he otherwise would have picked up the phone and talked to me) but he said that he received the letter, he apologized for the situation, and said that there were no specific questions in the letter so he didn’t respond to me (or have anyone else respond to me).

To sum it up, during this phone call…

Dillon agreed to buy back my liens

Dillon refused to buy back the ones that did not come from SKW

Dillon gave me the number for customer service

Dillon got me an answer from Sean on the letter that I sent

This was a fifty (50) minute phone call.

I received a check for the one lien that I purchased from SKW. I tried to call Dillon back, maybe a few weeks later and left a number. I never got a return call. I think that it was a few weeks after that I finally got through to Dillon. He assured me that he never received my message. He said that they would purchase my liens at a discount or have their service handle them for me(at a fee) and that he needed the information on the liens. I called him back and told him the date and time that I left a message for him, which was still recorded on my phone. He told me that I always bring up negative things and told me not to bring up negative things. He then told me something about their phone system changing at that time and that was probably what happened. (why didn’t he bring this up during the previous call instead of saying “I never got your message”) I then tried to give him the information on the liens but as I was talking he interrupted me and said “no, you need to send it in an email.” I didn’t even want to talk to the *** again so I decided to just take the loss on the liens. I still think that tax liens could be a good investment. If anyone knows of a group with a customer service department, rather than very funny customer disservice department, I would like to hear about it.

As I said earlier “A modification of the above was sent to Sean Walker and Dean Graziosi”. If anyone would like to have an actual copy of what was ignored by Sean Walker and Dean Graziosi, you can email me at madmangil@gmail.com and I will be happy to send you a copy or discuss this with you.

Review about: Tax Lien Real Estate Course.

Comments

stlrsfan
Mamaroneck, New York, United States #672578

Nobody is going to come here and read 'Gone with the Wind'.

SKW Central Wins the Award for World's Worst Service

Lubbock, Texas 4 comments

I am a former customer of SKW Central, and this is my personal story. I normally don't write reviews online (especially negative reviews), but for once, I feel like it's necessary. Yes, the service was just that bad.

My entire experience with SKW Central, or Sean Keegan Walker's Tax Liens & Deeds, starts like this.

I'm attending a free seminar about making money in real estate at a local Holiday Inn. Obviously, we all know that aside from the air we breathe, nothing in life is really free.

But being completely aware of that from the beginning, I am happy to attend the seminar to see what products and services they have to offer. After all, being sold isn't necessarily a bad thing--salespeople keep the world moving forward.

However, you have to make sure that you're buying quality products/services, and not wasting your money. It's fine, though; I'm smart enough. And I feel like I know a good investment when I see one.

Ultimately, I'm not there to throw money down the drain, but I'm certainly open to the idea of paying for value if legitimate value is being provided. That is my mindset.

As expected, the speakers are very talented, and there is clear value in the services they're promoting. Dean Graziosi, a well-known, rags-to-riches, multi-millionaire, real estate investor is the main event, though of course he himself does not attend (he has a team built for these things).

In a nutshell, they talk about all the money they make in real estate, the lifestyles they can afford because of that money, and how you too can make that money by using their special techniques--if you buy their service. All right, fair enough. If I went from zero to millionaire, I'd charge money for my time and knowledge as well.

Having said that, I won't go into Dean Graziosi too much in this article because it's not about him. For the record, I feel like he is legitimate and wish him the best of luck in growing his business and helping people live better lives.

After the real estate investing pitch is over, the tax liens pitch begins. Now I've been to a few other free seminars and thought the products or services being offered were complete ***, but like the real estate course, this tax lien program is also sounding pretty good.

In fact, I saw a lot of value in the tax liens program because of (a) how lucrative it was, and (b) how safe it was--if you do it right. The pitch was good and professional, and since SKW Central was the company being promoted, they were the ones getting the business.

I thought Dean Graziosi's and SKW Central's services were both great, and I purchased each of them. The real estate program was $2000, and the tax liens program was $1000, plus $14.95 a month.

Once again, no complaints about Dean Graziosi--this isn't about him or his company.

A couple months or so later, I realize that I've actually been getting charged $19.95 instead of $14.95 per month. It's just a $10 loss so far, so it's not really a huge deal financially, but I decide to call SKW Central customer service for the principle.

Not to mention, an extra $5 per month can add up, especially when you take into consideration that they like to increase the price without notifying you anyway. For all I know, it could be $25 the next month, $30 six months from then, etc.

Hey, accidents happen, though, right? Business is human, and humans aren't perfect. I'm certainly not perfect myself, so I'm going to give these guys a fair chance. When I reach a representative in customer service, I calmly and politely explain my issue to her, and she tells me that her manager will call me back by the end of the week with a resolution.

I don't think the issue is that complicated to resolve, but I keep those thoughts to myself, because I know how powerless individuals in customer service can be. I'm not saying that customer service never has any power, but many times this is the case (having worked in customer service myself in the past, I know this from experience).

Waiting a week isn't a big deal, and whether it's solved then or now makes no difference--as long as it ultimately gets solved.

Fast forward a week, no call from her manager, or any manager for that matter. Now I'm beginning to get frustrated.

I call back, still calm and respectful. What a coincidence, I get the same representative. Either this is a super-coincidence (this happens very rarely in medium to large-sized businesses), or they have a very small office, with very unorganized (or uncaring) people.

She apologizes that her manager has not gotten back to me, and lets me know that he is on vacation (how convenient). The most unfortunate part is that she or someone else in the office did not have the courtesy to call me and let me know about this--I had to call them and ask why I was essentially lied to.

Either way, holding grudges and harboring negative energy is not something I enjoy doing, so I let it go. I continue to treat her with dignity and respect, and she assures me that her manager will call me when he gets back from his vacation.

Although I feel like this is ridiculous, I can honestly wait another week or so since I'm only billed monthly anyway. And soon enough this will get resolved and I'll forget about it.

Another week passes. And another. Then a month passes, and no call from anyone, especially not a manager. By now, I feel like calling SKW Central's customer service is a complete waste of time, so I'm obviously not going to call a third time to simply get lied to again.

Such a simple issue, yet no one can handle it. A manager can't even take 5 minutes out of his or her day to call back a customer who has paid the company over $1000.

I'm already feeling nauseated that I'm even affiliated with a company that operates on these principles, and decide to check my SKW Central account to potentially salvage any kind of value that I can before canceling.

Lo and behold, my account has been mysteriously deleted (can't login, reset password, or re-create account with the unique passcode/key I purchased), though I am still being charged $20 a month for a service I am apparently not getting. And let's not get started on the $1000 I had to pay up-front to even get access.

So I'm in a situation. When things mess up, especially any subscription (recurring) type service, your first instinct is to call customer service and get things handled. However, SKW Central's customer service is the last group of people I want to speak to by this time, for very obvious reasons.

If they couldn't even fix a tiny billing error, despite calling multiple times, god forbid I ask for help on a more complicated issue.

This is the straw that broke the camel's back, and I call American Express promptly to file a chargeback on this ridiculously terrible, borderline-fraudulent service.

Thankfully, American Express is an excellent company and is very helpful when merchants misrepresent themselves and/or do not follow through on what they say that will provide.

Fast forward a few weeks after that, and I finally get a call from SKW Central. "Interesting," I think to myself.

The representative is just a regular guy in customer service/billing, and asks me if something is wrong with my credit card, because the charge isn't going through (I blocked all future charges from SKW Central when I filed my chargeback).

Wow! The audacity this company has!

After "giving" me the kind of experience I received, and never calling me back for support purposes (despite being told... twice!), they have the audacity to call and ask why they can't charge me next month's $20... wow.

Don't get me wrong, I'm already done with SKW Central by this time, but this incident just blew my mind. Perfect example of a company that just wants the customer's money and does not care about the customer.

Funnily enough, a few weeks after this happened, I actually do get a call from someone that is genuinely interested in my issues. Not that I care at this point, but it was refreshing to see that a company may actually start to give a ***.

However, it turns out that he only called me because he saw my YouTube video on Google Search, and not because customer service finally got their act together or realized that some major errors/glitches existed in their system and they wanted to apologize and make things right. He called to ask what he could do to get me to take down the video. What a surprise.

If you value your time or money, don't do business with SKW Central.

I want to make it clear: tax liens can be a very lucrative investment--tax liens themselves are not a scam. But invest in tax liens with a company that will actually care about you. Not a company that will overcharge you, lie to you, ignore you, delete your account on "accident," and only call you back when you provide them with negative publicity in return for the headache they've given you.

Review about: Entire Experience.

Comments

My previous post regarding SKW Central was incorrect at the time it was posted. After working with SKW Central to resolve my concerns, I have determined that this entire scenario was a misunderstanding.

Prior to my posting the comment, SKW Central had taken the necessary steps to correct any unintentional issues that I may have had with its customer service department. This company takes care of its customers.

Quick Note: My comment was in response to the comment below, not above. It was in response to the comment written by DerekWebb on February 24, 2012, in case that wasn't clear.

I am the filer of this complaint, and I am responding to the comment above.

To begin, regarding the testimonials, I'd like to point out that even Bernie Madoff had happy customers. The people that got out early enough actually did get paid, and make significant returns. Even a poorly run business needs to have some happy clientele in order to remain in business.

I want to make it clear: I am not comparing SKW Central to Madoff in the sense that they will take your money and run (like they almost did to me). They will just treat you poorly and hopefully not delete your account on accident.

As with any business, though, it is difficult to please everyone. I completely agree. However, that's a poor excuse for completely ignoring a customer's needs. I was not a problem-case customer. I was an easy-going, polite customer, with very simple needs. (Refer back to review.)

Although I find the claim that SKW Central has only had two complaints hard to believe (especially considering the trade2win forum thread along with my own), the general public will have to take your word for that since there is no proof on either side available. Considering my review, however, it will be smart to take that statement with a grain of salt.

Regarding my refund, it is true that I asked for an additional $500 in compensation for the headache I was given, my valuable time that SKW Central has generously wasted, and the stress that this unnecessary matter has caused me. I guess compensating people for these issues is a foreign concept to SKW Central, but the U.S. Court System has been doing this for centuries. I felt and still feel like it was a fair offer, as $500 is not a lot of compensation but enough to consider this messy situation resolved.

Plain and simple, SKW Central admittedly treated me very poorly. Also, admittedly, there is no excuse for this.

So tell me, then, as the manager of customer service: why are you still employed? For a customer to have dealt with such negligence under your supervision, and here you are admitting that you have no excuse for this, is unacceptable. Either Dean Graziosi needs to terminate SKW Central as a partnership, or SKW Central needs to terminate you for your incompetence and/or indifference.

Derek, you are probably a good person, but professionally, you made an extremely careless mistake. If you worked for my business, your employment would be terminated.

Now, SKW Central (Derek, to be exact) did contact me later on. This was also mentioned at the end of my review.

However, I wasn't contacted for the reason he would like you to believe. I was contacted not because of all the problems I've had, but because he saw a YouTube video on Google Search titled "SKW Central Scam" that displayed my account being mysteriously deleted. The reason he called was to ask me what he could do for me to take it down. In fact, he only found out about my problems when I told him about them over the phone, to which I received some generic customer service "BS" (for lack of a better term) and an offer for a refund.

I speak bluntly about customer service because having worked in it for two years myself (and one year as a manager), I know it when I hear it.

So now I am being offered a refund. That's great, but I've already filed a charge-back with American Express by this time, so technically, I have already gotten my refund. Was SKW Central going to double my refund? I doubt it. So the offer was useless, late, redundant, and only existed because I had a high-powered-SEO YouTube video with their name and the word "scam" attached to it. Ultimately, I did not need a refund because I already got a refund. (Thanks again, American Express.)

Regarding the 6 months of free access to the website: why would I want 6 more months of poor (or potentially nonexistent) service? Seriously?

Regarding personalized training: watching the videos already in existence on the website does not qualify as personalized training. SKW Central should really stop calling it that.

And last but not least, my mission is not to speak poorly about anyone's company or trash anyone's brand. As stated in my review, I rarely post reviews about anything online--especially negative experiences. Unfortunately for us both, my experience with SKW Central has just been so extremely poor that I had no choice but to warn other potential consumers to not throw their hard-earned money down this black hole.

Even so, my mission is not to damage SKW Central, but let the world know the truth. Nothing more, nothing less. If I can prevent other people from wasting money on this "premium" service, I have made the world a better place.

This is also disappointing to me, as a consumer, but this is life.

DerekWebb

Hi. My name is Derek Webb. I'm the Customer Service Manager at SKW Central Tax Liens & Deeds. I'm genuinely interested in the success and happiness of our students and scour the web regularly looking for success stories and feedback. I was surprised to come across this complaint and would like to address it with the readers.

I think it's important to let you know we have TONS of happy customers! In just the past month, our students have invested at least $450,000 in tax liens, with an average accruing interest rate of 14%. And because of our relationships with the secondary market, we've been able to acquire these tax liens at a discounted rate (avg 15%), which we then passed to our students. This is a remarkable investment opportunity. It's no wonder our customers are so happy. Here's a sample of what they're saying:

"Becoming an SKW student has allowed me to learn all about the tax lien and deed purchasing process and has given me a ton of educational tools to help me find good certificates within my price range. I invested $1,600 into 7 tax liens from several states at an average of 16% interest on each lien." - Susan Jensen, Ballston Spa, NY

"The program pulled everything together. It clarified a lot of things and tied a lot of loose ends that couldn't be tied elsewhere. Going forward it will be nice to have a reference point that I can trust. I put my money into 8 tax liens in both Maricopa county and Mahoning county at an average of 16% interest." - Jim LeQuin, Dublin, CA

As with any business, it's difficult to please everyone, even though we try anyway. As a company, we work tirelessly to keep everyone happy and are very proud of our satisfaction ratings. We've been in business for a while now and I only know of 2 complaints - one was a simple misunderstanding that has since been resolved; the other (above) posted this complaint after asking for a refund plus $500 more than what he paid for the program.

Plain and simple, we did not take care of this customer as we should have - it's inexcusable. We have since corrected the problem and have put processes in place to prevent anyone else from ever having the same experience. We have since contacted this customer to see if there was anything we could do to help him feel better about everything. We offered this customer a full refund, 6 months access to our website and training program for free, personal one on one help. Unfortunately, to no avail, he is set on speaking poorly about the company and his experience.

This is disappointing to me as the Customer Service Manager. As I mentioned previously, I am genuinely interested in the success and happiness of our customers and am completely dedicated to ensuring each customer has a phenomenal experience with me and my staff, and the product. If there are any readers who would like to speak with me or my team, our direct line is (877) 484-8012. I promise to do everything possible to ensure you have an amazing experience with our products and services.

Derek Webb